Everything and the Bathroom Sink
Sinks and lavatories can present special challenges when designing ADA restrooms. In many cases, sinks are difficult to navigate and reach for people with limited mobility. Builders and designers must consider how the sink height and depth contributes to easy navigation, the amount of floor space around the sink, the accessibility of paper towels and dispensers, the type of faucet and preventing contact with pipes and the water supply. Here, we will review the major standards that sinks and lavatories must meet in order to be considered compliant by the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design. These standards are as follows:
- Be sure to leave plenty of clean floor space around the sink area. Position for a forward approach with plenty of knee and toe clearance. More detailed guidelines with instructions for a variety of different dimensions can be found in ADA standards 305 and 306. EXCEPTION: For sinks used primarily by children ages 6 to 12, a knee clearance of 24” minimum above the floor is permitted for sinks and lavatories whether the counter surface is 31” above the floor.
- Install sinks and lavatories with the front or highest part of the rim or counter surface a maximum of 34” above the finished ground. EXCEPTION: Single, private-use restroom lavatories do not have to comply with this standard. For residential kitchens, adjustable height sinks (29” – 36”) are permitted if plumbing rough-in permits drain connections for sinks mounted at 29”.
- Locate soap and towel dispensers so they are conveniently reached/accessed. Comply with the reach ranges specified in ADA Standard 308 (high forward reach 48” above ground, low forward reach 15” above ground). If the reach is obstructed, the high forward reach should be 48” maximum with a reach depth of 20” maximum).
- Faucets must comply with ADA Standard 309 (5 lbs. of force to operate, no tight grasping, twisting, or pinching of the wrist). Hand-operated metering faucets must remain open for at least 10 seconds.
- Prevent contact with water supply and drainpipes under the sink. Ensure that there is no contact with sharp or abrasive surfaces.
Often when specifying sinks for ADA restrooms, the wording is general such as “provide ADA compliant sink.” ADA sinks are most often specified under the Plumbing Division. Sometimes the specifications state a specific manufacturer or manufacturer list. At this writing, there were 1,708 projects within the Plumbing Division that specified ADA sinks for this year in ConstructConnect. Although many contain a specific manufacturer(s), the there is room for product manufacturers to become a basis of design or position their sink as THE ones for ADA restrooms.
Now that you are aware of the standards surrounding ADA-compliant bathroom sinks, here are some manufacturers that make high-quality products that will meet your needs:
Elkay. Founded in 1920, Elkay offers high-quality plumbing for home and commercial applications. From kitchen sinks and faucets to bottle filling stations, Elkay products are right where you are, right when you need them. See Elkay’s ADA-compliant sinks, including the CuVerro Antimicrobial Copper Single Bowl Drop-in Bathroom Sink on their website, plus these popular ADA when install properly sinks:
- EDU15ACH ASANA Single Bowl Copper Vessel Bathroom Sink, ADA
- ELUH12 ASANA Single Bowl Stainless Steel Bathroom Sink ADA
American Standard. American Standard has a legacy spanning 140 years as a premier North American manufacturer of plumbing and building products. American Standards manufactures faucets, sinks, whirlpool tubs and many other high-performance fixtures for the kitchen and bath, including ADA-compliant sinks. See American Standard’s full range of ADA-compliant sinks, including:
- 0355.027.020 Lucerne Wall-mount lavatory sink 4-inch faucet holes, ADA
- 9141011.020 Wall-mount Bathroom Sinks Wheelchair Users White (4-inch center faucet holes)
- 9140013.020 Wall-mount Bathroom Sink Wheelchair Users White (Commercial 10-1/2 Center faucet holes )
- 9140047.020 Wall-mount Bathroom Sink Wheelchair Users White (Commercial center hole)
Just Manufacturing. Since 1933 Just Manufacturing has become the industry standard for designing and producing quality grade plumbing products and fixtures. View their selection of ADA-compliant sinks, including the OLR-ADA-17521 on their website.
- UCIF-ADA-14 Undermount Bathroom Lavatory Sink, Stainless Steel ADA 16″ x 5.25″
- UOIF-ADA-1521-A Bathroom Lavatory Sink, Stainless Steel ADA 21.5″ x 15.5″ x 5.5″ ADA
- CIR-10 Double Bowl Drop Bathroom Lavatory Sink, Stainless Steel, ADA
Kohler: Since 1873, Kohler, located in Kohler, Wisconsin, has been a world-renowned manufacturer of plumbing products. See their selection of ADA-compliant sinks when installed to reguations, including the Vox® Square Vessel Bathroom Sink on their website, plus these:
- K-2241-8-96 Memoirs Self-rimming Bathroom Sink Biscuit, 22-3/4″ x 18″ ADA, 8″ Center drilling
- K-2196-1R-95 Pennington Self-rimming Bathroom Sink Ice Grey 21.13″ x 9.8″ Single hole, Dispener hole, ADA
- K-2833-0 DemiLav Self-Rimming Wading Pool Bathroom Sink, No faucet hole, Colors 5-6″
- K-2215-0 Ladena Under-mount Bathroom Sink, White 23.25 x 16.25 x 8.12″ (installed with 21″min. depth countertop)
ZURN. Zurn has been a leading company in providing innovative water solutions since 1900. Zurn aspires to protect human health and the environment and is committed to offering safe and efficient products like these:
- 5321 Lavatory Wheelchair ADA 23×20′, White, single hole
- Z5111 Commercial Lavatory ADA, 20×17″ White Single hole
Mansfield. Mansfield manufactures ADA-compliant bathroom products that provide reliable performance, beautiful designs, affordable prices, and are made in the USA, like these:
- 2018HBNS-1 Grande Isle ADA Wall-mount Bathroom Sink Faucet Hole, White 22×18-1/8″
- 237-4 Lavatory ADA Oval Self-rim Bathroom Sink White 17×11-/18″
- 251410000 Lavatory Bowl ADA Oval Bathroom Sink White 12×14″
TOTO. TOTO is a distinguished manufacturer with nearly a century of experience in producing innovative plumbing products. TOTO’s products, including their selection of ADA bathroom products, offer customers high quality and creative solutions. A few of their large selection listed below:
- LT641#01 Dartmouth Undercounter Oval Lavatory Sink, Single Hole, White ADA 18×13″
- LT308.4#01 Lavatory Wall-Mount Commercial Sink 4″ Cotton White, ADA 20×27″
- LT531.8#01 Promenade Bathroom Sink 8″ Center Self-rim Widespread ADA 22×18″
- LT577#01 Lavatory Sink Undercounter Mount White ADA 12″
- LT221#01 Rectangular Lavatory Undercounter Mount White ADA 17X13″
- LT626G#01 Aimes Lavatory Undercounter Mount White ADA 17×15″
Scarabeo. Scarabeo was founded in 1974 in Italy and has manufactured elegant and functional washbasins ever since. Scarabeo’s products are created by combining traditional ceramic processing techniques with high-tech machinery. A few products:
- 5211 Bathroom Sink Wall Mount One-Hole White ADA 32x18x5″
- 3006 Bathroom Double Sink Wall Mount Two-Hole White ADA Double Sink 48×18.5×6.5″
Icera. Icera was founded in Southern California in 1987 and has sought to improve quality of life through luxury bathroom design ever since. Icera embraces innovation in design and technology to deliver industry-leading products for a unified bathroom experience.
Whitehall Manufacturing. As a leading manufacturer of toilets, surgical scrub sinks, and physical therapy/sports medicine products, Whitehall is experienced in providing solutions for the health care and rehabilitation industries. Whitehall’s products, including its ADA-compliant products, are ideal for patient care and rehabilitation.