It’s in the Details: In-Stall Dispensers
It is important to consider the smaller details. The placement of in-stall dispensers is a small detail, but an essential part in adhering properly to ADA restroom guidelines.
When it comes to in-stall toilet paper dispensers, they are mentioned in section 604.9.6 and 309.4 Dispensers of the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design. They are to be placed 7” to 9” in front of the toilet and be 14” to 19” above the floor. Keep in mind that there needs to be a clearance of at least 1½” below the grab bar.
Access to the grab bars is an important feature to take into consideration when installing a toilet paper dispenser. Section 309.4 gives note that if the dispenser is installed above the grab bar, the outlet of the dispenser must be 48” from the finished floor and the top of the gripping surface. The grab bar must be between 33” and 36” above the floor. This allows enough space for an arm or hand to be placed on the grab bar.
If installing a seat cover dispenser, then follow the reach guidelines in section 308.1 Unobstructed or 308.3.2 Obstructed High Reach, depending on where it will be placed. If unobstructed, then the side reach can be 15” to 18” above the floor. If obstructed (by the toilet) and the depth is 10”, then the side reach can be 15” to 48”. However, if the depth exceeds 10”, but no more than 24”, then the side reach range is 15” to 46”.
When it comes to choosing a dispenser, it’s really the designer’s preference. Single roll or double roll. Realistically, the 15” minimum is often too low, especially when using a covered double roll dispenser. Think how low you have to reach. They are most often installed so low that one must nearly get on the floor to access the toilet paper.
Keep in mind that these dimensions are different for children’s restrooms. They are:
|Advisory Specifications for Toilets Serving Children Ages 3 through 12
|Ages 3 and 4
|Ages 5 through 8
|Ages 9 through 12
|Grab Bar Height
|18” to 20”
|20” to 25”
|25” to 27”
|14” to 17”
|17” to 19”
|Children’s Reach Ranges
|Forward or Side Reach
|Ages 3 and 4
|Ages 5 through 8
|Ages 9 through 12
It is vital to note that all parts of the toilet paper dispenser and seat cover dispenser must be compliant with section 304.9 of the 2010 ADA Standards. Make sure that when purchasing a dispenser, no more than 5 lbs. are needed to release the toilet paper or cover and no parts of the mechanism are difficult to twist or grab by a user.
There are many manufacturers of toilet paper and toilet seat cover dispensers for ADA restrooms. Here are a few Classic Series to consider.
Bobrick. Bobrick is recognized as an industry leader in well-designed, value-oriented restroom accessories and toilet partitions. Some of the world’s most renowned companies and institutions rely on Bobrick solutions to reinforce their brands, reduce long-term operating costs and position their organizations for a successful future. You will find a section of close to 64 dedicated to toilet paper dispensers as well as toilet seat cover dispensers on their website, here a some popular examples:
- Bobrick B-2888 Surface Mounted Multi-Roll Toilet Tissue dispenser is one a single roll best seller
- Bobrick B-2740 Double Toll Toilet Tissue Dispenser is a double roll best seller
- Bobrick B-3474 Space Saving Recessed Seat Cover and Toilet Tissue Dispenser is a popular item
- Bobrick B-2892 Surface Mounted Twin Jumbo Roll Toilet Tissue Dispenser holds two 10″ diameter rolls
Bradley Corporation. Bradley is one of the most complete and advanced manufacturers for commercial washrooms, and comprehensive solutions for emergency safety and industrial applications. Now in the fifth generation of the Mullett family, their continued commitment includes treating customers and employees like family. You will find 101 results when you search for “paper dispenser” on their website and six results for “seat cover.” Here are some stainless steel examples:
- Bradley B-5127 Double Roll Vertical Recessed-mount Toilet Paper Holder
- Bradley B-5412 Recessed Toilet Paper Dual Roll Dispenser
- Bradley B-5912 Partition Mounted Toilet Seat Cover and Toilet Paper Dispenser, 1000 single-fold or half-fold covers and 4 toilet paper rolls
American Specialties Inc. (ASI). The ASI Group designs, engineers, and manufactures fully integrated washroom accessories, partitions, lockers, and visual display products from one source. This includes toilet paper and seat dispensers, such as:
- ASI 0697 Surface Mount Double Toilet Tissue Holder with Shelf
- ASI 0031 Semi-Recessed Dual Roll Toilet Tissue Dispenser
- ASI-0481 Dual Access Seat Cover and Toilet Tissue Dispenser
Kimberly-Clark Professional. Kimberly-Clark Professional partners with businesses to create Exceptional Workplaces, helping to make them healthier, safer, and more productive. You will find a section dedicated to toilet paper and toilet seat cover dispensers for sale here:
- 09507 Commercial Toilet Paper Dispenser
- KCC 09021 Professional Coreless Double Roll Toilet Paper Dispenser
- 09512 Windows Toilet Seat Cover Dispenser
Georgia-Pacific Pro. Georgia-Pacific was founded in 1927 and has expanded into numerous markets by offering innovative solutions. Georgia-Pacific offers a variety of ADA-compliant dispensers for public restrooms, such as:
- 56744 A 4-Roll Quad Coreless High Capacity Toilet Paper Dispenser
- 59009 Single Roll Jumbo Toilet Paper Dispenser
- GP-57725 Safe-T-Gard Toilet Seat Cover Dispenser
San Jamar. Since 1984, San Jamar has worked to make restroom products, including dispensers, smarter, safer, and more sanitary. San Jamar offers a variety of dispensers that meet ADA requirements for accessibility and ease of use. and space saving design:
- R3690TBK Double Roll Toilet Tissue Dual Dispensing
- R3500TBL Standard Bath Tissue Dispenser
- TS510TBK Toilet Seat Cover Dispenser
Oasis Creations. Based in Los Angeles, Oasis Creations desi ns and manufactures a variety of versatile products that are ideal for the home and office. Oasis Creations offers a wide selection and variety of dispensers, including ADA-compliant dispensers for public restrooms.
- Double Roll Jumbo Toilet Tissue Dispenser
- Single Roll Toilet Tissue Dispenser 9″
- Toilet Seat Cover Dispenser Commercial/Residential
Tork USA. Tork is the leading global brand in workplace hygiene, with a wide variety of products designed to meet the needs of restrooms, kitchens, offices, and industrial spaces. Tork USA carries a wide range of ADA-compliant dispensers.